What's Perioral Dermatitis?

Those red, scaly bumps around your mouth — the ones that may burn, itch or make it hard to smile — are possibly perioral dermatitis. Perioral dermatitis is a chronic, inflammatory skin disease that is different from acne.  Scientists have not yet identified a specific underlying condition that causes this rash. Although scientists and dermatologists are still working on finding definitive answers, some possible causes are thought to be:

  • An imbalance of the skin’s moisture barrier
  • Bacteria on the skin’s surface
  • Bacteria invading hair follicles
  • Overuse or misuse of topical corticosteroids such as hydrocortisone cream
  • An allergic reaction to the environment, such as pollution or poor air quality
  • Sensitivity to strong winds or UV light

CelleRx Clinical Reset can help soothe and calm the symptoms of perioral dermatitis. How? Well, dermatitis is a rash, which is the result of inflammation due to bacteria. Even if you are fastidious about cleansing your skin (and btw, don’t scrub too much!), the moisture barrier that protects it from outside elements can be stripped away, leaving it vulnerable to irritants which throw your skin’s pH balance off-kilter and enter those itchy, red bumps. Clinical Reset keeps your skin bacteria-free which is the number one thing you can do to help manage perioral dermatitis.

Clinical Reset is the only pure, prescription-grade, FDA-cleared hypochlorous acid (HOCl) facial mist. HOCl is the same molecule your immune system produces to fight infections inside your body. We’ve bottled  this natural immune response to the surface of your skin to gently cleanse and safely remove bacteria that could otherwise exacerbate perioral dermatitis.  

Some other nurturing actions you can take to possibly reduce a dermatitis breakout is to take a break from scrubs and peels, switch to a more lightweight facial moisturizer, go minimal when it comes to makeup, and use Clinical Reset throughout the day. Should your skin condition persist, you should always see your dermatologist.